Jump to the main content block

International Scholar

How to be an International Scholar of NCKU

To inquire about being an International Scholar at NCKU, please directly contact the staff representative or a faculty member of the college/institute with which you are interested.

The following website provides a directory of all the Colleges and their Departments.


NCKU Contact

To assist academic staff from overseas in making a smooth transition to live and work at NCKU, your main contact person at NCKU are the staff coordinators of the department where you are/will be working.

Should you need any kind of assistance, please communicate directly with your department’s designated contact person first.



Immigration and Visas


Visa is the immigration license. You can apply for different kinds of visas according to the duration of your stay in Taiwan

VISITOR VISAS:Foreign nationals, who hold ordinary passports or other legal travel documents and who intend to stay in Taiwan for no more than six months for the purposes of transit; tour; visit relatives; undertake visits; undertake inspection tours; attend international conferences; conduct business; pursue short-term study; undertake short-term employment; undertake short-term missionary work; or engage in other activities in the ROC as approved by MOFA.

RESIDENT VISAS:Foreign nationals, who hold ordinary passports or other legal travel documents, who intend to stay in the Republic of China for more than six months for the purpose of uniting with family; pursue studies; undertake employment; invest; conduct missionary work; conduct official duties; participate in international exchange programs; or engage in other activities approved by MOFA or other relevant agency of the central-government.

Resident Visa holders are required to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate and Re-entry Permit at a local service center of the National Immigration Agency within 15 days of their arrival (starting from the next full day after their arrival date). They may stay in the ROC as long as the Alien Resident Certificate remains valid.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs hereby announces the launch of the Republic of China eVisa Program starting January 12. The program is part of the ROC government's efforts to enhance its ICT infrastructure and simplify travel documents while enhancing security.

There is useful information on immigration and visa issues on NCKU webpage; however, we strongly advise international visitors to refer to the official informational website provided by the National Immigration Agency and Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (TAIWAN)

Tainan City First Service Center, National Immigration Agency, Ministry of the Interior
Address:No.370, Sec. 2, Fuqian Rd., Tainan City
Mon. to Fri. 08:00-17:00

National Immigration Agency:https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/
Bureau Of Consular Affairs, Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Republic Of China (Taiwan):https://www.boca.gov.tw/mp-2.html


Work Permit

According to Taiwanese labor requirements, all foreign nationals who intend to work in Taiwan should apply for a work permit. In order to do so, please refer to your department’s contact person.

Working Expats in Taiwan: http://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/

Workforce Development Agency: https://www.wda.gov.tw/en/default.aspx




We have three guesthouses at NCKU, but not every scholar is eligible to secure a room/residence at these guesthouses. Eligibility depends on the scholar’s status at NCKU. Please confirm with your department’s contact person to know whether you are eligible candidate.

Guesthouses Description/Fees    

Guesthouse Name



Room Types

Number of person




Jing-Ye guest house







Dong-Ning guest house







Dong-Ning guest house







For more details, please refer to the following link: General Services Division

Work-related multi-room apartments for overseas short time visitors (Full-time Teacher):

This dormitory is for married overseas teachers (professors, assistant professors, associate professors and lecturers with Ph.D degree) within 1 year of returning to Taiwan. Maximum length of stay residing at the dormitory is 3 years (6 semesters)

For more details, please refer to the following link:

Office of General Affairs, Property Management Division

Hotels Near NCKU

Zenda Suites Hotel

The price per night of every kind of guest room (Updated: 2016/4/6)

Business Single Room NT$4,100 Business Suites NT$6,000
Deluxe Single Room NT$4,300 Deluxe Suites NT$7,000
Deluxe Twin Room NT$4,700    

Address: No.2,Dasyue Rd.,East District. Tainan City 701,Taiwan
Tel: +886-6-275-8999

Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel

Address: 89 Section West, University Road, Tainan, 70146, Taiwan
Tel: +886-6-702-8888



 Foreign Faculty Discussion Forum

 2016/06/03 Concerns and Response  


Provider: Office of International Affairs
Date: 2019-02-25
Click Num: